HGV Truck Driver Jobs in the UK 2023 with visa sponsorship: In 2021 autumn, the UK introduced a scheme of 5,000 temporary short-term visas to tackle the shortage of HGV/ Truck drivers in the food and fuel sector. This scheme also introduced an HGV temporary concession allowing non-visa national HGV Truck drivers to seek permission at the border and work there. According to New York Times, The British government estimated a shortage of 100,000 drivers.
Since the previous year, the UK government has removed the HGV Truck Driver occupation from the skilled work visa occupations list. Still, there are some businesses that are willing to sponsor foreign truck drivers or at least provide them with visa procurement assistance. Truck drivers get a handsome salary i.e. between £11 and £18 per hour along with many other additional benefits. Read on below to find more:
Job details of HGV Truck Driver Jobs in the UK:
- Job title: Heavy Good Vehicles Truck Driver/ Truck Driver
- Job country: UK.
- Job Industry: Transport.
- Job Type: Full Time
- Experience Required: High
- Knowledge Required: Not High
- Age Limit: 18-onwards.
- Free Food: Mostly No.
- Free Accommodation: No.
- Free Medical Insurance: Mostly Yes.
- Free Transport: No.
- Visa Sponsorship: Yes/ No.
- Salary: between £11-18
Requirements of HGV Truck Driver Jobs in the UK:
- Applicant must be a minimum of 18 years old.
- Have a full car license.
- Get a professional driving qualification called the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).
- Get a full driver CPC after undertaking 5 driving tests.
- Experience and knowledge about the local rules and driving a truck.
- No minimum education requirement by many employers. However, some may demand at least GCSES or any other equivalent.
- Candidate must speak fluent English. To get a skilled worker visa (in case your employer does not sponsor you) IELTS is a requirement.
- Experience requirements differ from one employer to another. However, it could be anything from seven months to five years.
- You must meet all visa requirements to become a truck driver/ HGV Truck driver. Click here to know about them
How can I become a free HGV Driver in UK?
To get trained as HGV Driver, you choose one of the following routes: (a) Skilled Boot camps (b) Apprenticeship (c) Vocational courses (d) Driving school courses. The easiest route is Skilled Boot Camp which is a free course lasting up to only 16 weeks. However, all these courses are available in the UK. So, your presence in UK (through any visa and stay route) is compulsory.
Benefits of HGV Truck Driver Jobs in the UK:
- There is no high-end qualification demand.
- Attractive Salary Packages i.e. between £11 to £15 per hour.
- Full-Time contract with potential overtime.
- Many job opportunities are available as UK is in dire need of truck drivers.
- Additional employee benefits (varying from one employer to another) like free bus travel for the employee and his family, free uniforms, apprenticeship courses, Christmas courses, free parking, laundry service, etc.
- Some employers offer help in transport like bike-to-work schemes or subsidized bike programs.
- Paid annual holidays and breaks are an essential feature of UK Labour Law.
- Almost every employer gives you an annual salary review and an annual company bonus scheme.
UK Truck Driver Visa Scheme: Online Application form
The UK Truck Driver Visa Scheme (originally launched in 2021) was renewed in 2023 (now known as UK Truck Driver Visa Scheme 2023) and was introduced by UK government’s Department of Business Energy and Industrial Strategy to invite foreign nationals to fill the gap between the demand and availability of Truck drivers and Lorry drivers in the food processing industry of the country. Under this scheme, UK’s government proclaimed to distribute 10,500 3-month work permits. The exact eligibility criteria and suitable visa category for this scheme are not yet been announced. However, it is anticipated that the visas will form the T5 Temporary Worker category.
How to Apply for HGV Truck Driver Jobs in the UK with visa sponsorship?
- By clicking on the link below, you will be routed to the official job search portal, use the application button given below the job description.
- You can also use/ search yourself for the job by using the search box and the location box, to narrow down your job search results. Type your job title, e.g., “ HGV Truck Driver for foreigners/ with visa sponsorship”, “Truck Driver Jobs in the UK for Working Holiday Workers”, “Driver Jobs in the UK for foreigners with visa sponsorship”, “Driver Jobs Food Processing Industry UK for foreigners / Lorry Driver Jobs UK with visa sponsorship.
- Select your desired UK city in the location bar right beneath the search bar to narrow your search results and make them more precise.
- It’s better to update your CV or Resume and Cover letter according to the latest market trends as there is a high chance that your employer might notice the layout/ presentation.
- Examine the job posting details like job description, job requirements, job responsibilities, etc.
- Ensure you meet all requirements before you apply. Examine the job role and its requirements carefully.
- Click the “Online Application” button given below.
- Fill out the necessary details being asked and submit the application.
- Verify the reception of a confirmation email for your sent job application.
More Visa-sponsored truck driver jobs in UK:
Click here to get more visa-sponsored truck driver jobs in various other sectors besides HGV Truck Driver category: