A skilled worker visa is a form of work visa for the United Kingdom that allows foreign nationals to enter the country and take a job with a sponsoring company. Since December 1, 2020, the Tier 2 work visa has been replaced by the Skilled Worker visa.
London-based immigration lawyers can assist you with obtaining a work visa, switching to a different visa category, or extending your current skilled worker visa. Get in touch with our UK immigration lawyer today to get legal advice and help with any UK Skilled Worker visa application.
What Is A Visa For Skilled Workers?
The Skilled Worker visa, which used to be called the “Tier 2 (General) Work visa,” lets people from outside the UK work for an approved employer in the UK. After working in the UK for five years on a UK Skilled Worker visa, you can apply for ILR as a skilled worker.
Employers can hire skilled workers worldwide to do a specific job in the UK through the Skilled Worker route. If an employer wants to hire qualified people from outside the UK, they will need a sponsorship licence from the Home Office.
IT Jobs in Canada with Visa Sponsorship 2023 (Apply Now)
UK Visa Criteria for Qualified Workers
A work offer from a sponsor approved by the Home Office is required to apply for a Skilled Worker visa (Employer). The UK Skilled Worker visa is a type of immigration based on points. An applicant must get at least 70 points to be eligible for the work visa.
Requirements for UK Skilled Worker Visas
A new “Skilled Worker” appendix has unique rules and requirements for the “Skilled Worker” visa category. Skilled Worker visa applicants must get 70 points to be eligible for this way to get a work visa.
This set of rules for getting a Skilled Worker visa also applied to EEA citizens hired from outside the UK after January 1, 2021, as well as to people who didn’t meet the requirements for the EU Settlement Scheme.
Here are the main requirements for eligibility:
- You must have a job offer from a sponsor recognized by the Home Office;
- you must perform work at the right level of expertise;
- you must be paid a minimum wage (the amount of which varies depending on the nature of your employment);
- you must be able to establish that you have enough money to support yourself;
- you must have a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) that verifies your position and salary;
- And you must be able to communicate effectively in English.
Canadian Companies VISA Sponsorship Jobs in 2023 (Apply Online)
UK Skilled Worker Visa Documents
When you apply for a UK Skilled Worker visa, you’ll need to provide the following documents:
- A valid passport or other travel documents that shows who you are and where you are from.
- A Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) reference number, which you can get from your employer.
- The name of your employer and the number of their sponsorship license.
- Proof that you can speak English.
- Your job title and annual salary.
- The occupation code for your job.
How To Apply For A Visa For Skilled Workers?
You can apply for a Skilled Worker visa online if you meet all the requirements. If you need expert legal advice or help, you can contact London-based immigration solicitors with much experience.
Steps you need to follow to get a UK Skilled Worker visa:
- Determine whether you meet the requirements
- Fill out and submit the online application form;
- Pay the Skilled Worker visa application fee;
- Pay the Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS);
- Upload supporting documents;
- Schedule and attend a biometrics session
Deadline For Processing Skilled Worker Visas
In 2023, it takes an average of 11 weeks to get a Skilled Worker visa from the UK. Home Office UKVI is working hard to return to the 8-week service standard for Skilled Worker visa applications.
Unskilled Jobs in Hungary with Visa Sponsorship 2023 (Easy Apply)
Cost of Skilled Worker visa?
Depending on your situation, the Skilled Worker visa application fee can be anywhere from £625 to £1,423. If your job is on the list of jobs in short supply, you’ll pay less to apply.
While applying for a Skilled Worker visa, you must also pay a yearly Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) of £624.