Potato Grading Workers / Potatoes Picking Backpackers Jobs in Ireland for Foreigners: Potatoes Harvesting Jobs is the best option for backpackers in Ireland, who want to work on Working Holiday Visa because they can be grown all over Ireland at various times of the year. It is also a great option for those who want a 2nd or 3rd-year extension in their Holiday Work Visa. Potatoes grow very well and easily in Ireland, growing in both warm and cold climates.
Potatoes can grow everywhere_ in large pots, small patches, or raised beds. The only thing that should be kept in mind is that they shouldn’t be grown in frost season as they need nearly 90 days free of cost and extreme cold. Similarly, too much hot weather (like around Jan-Feb) is also not ideal. Historically, Potatoes have been the biggest vegetable/ commodity grown in Ireland by volume and by use. This indicates the job potential for Potato Harvest Workers/ Potato Picking Workers. Today’s post has brought one such amazing opportunity for backpackers/ seasonal workers by Kilmore Potatoes Limited. Read on below to find all important job details and descriptions like skills and experience requirements, visa options, and a link to apply online.
Details of Potato Picking and Grading Jobs in Ireland for Foreigners 2023:
- 1 Details of Potato Picking and Grading Jobs in Ireland for Foreigners 2023:
- 2 Requirements of Potatoe Picking/ Grading Backpackers Jobs:
- 3 Job responsibilities/ obligations of a Potato Grading Worker/ Backpacker:
- 4 Benefits of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs:
- 5 Wexford Potatoes
- 6 Potato Harvesting/ Farming Season in Wexford County, Southern Ireland:
- 7 How to apply?
- Job Country: Ireland
- Employer’s location: Kilmore, County Wexford, Ireland.
- Employer’s name: Kilmore Potatoes Ltd.
- Industry: Agriculture/ Farm Jobs
- Job Title: Potatoe Harvest Workers/ Potatoe Pickers/ Potato Farm Workers.
- Job type: Part-time/ Rotating Shift basis. (Finishing time can vary).
- Experience Required: No
- Knowledge Required: Not High
- Age Limit: No
- Visa Sponsorship: Varies from one employer to another.
- Valid visa types: 2nd and 3rd year working holiday visa, Work visa, Seasonal worker visa, Student visa, and PR holders.
- Accommodation: Varies from one employer to another.
- Expected Salary: €22.00 with %15 for PM Loading.
- Expected Season: All around the year but not during extreme weather.
Requirements of Potatoe Picking/ Grading Backpackers Jobs:
- Candidate should be physically fit and strong enough to carry a heavy picking bag of between 2- 20 kg bags, while also capable of climbing up and down the ladders.
- Candidate should be able to work for long hours and overtime.
- Candidate must have flexible working conditions and team player spirit.
- Previous experience in potato picking/ packing is an advantage but not essential.
- Candidate should be a 2nd or 3rd Year Working Holiday visa holder.
- Candidate should be able to arrange own accommodation.
- Candidate should be able to transport his own transport as there is no public transport available nearby.
- Candidate should have sharp inspection and grading qualities.
- The candidate has to work a few days to learn the technique required to become a fast picker. In other words, it is self-job site training.
- The candidate has to take care of his own safety.
- Self-motivated with a can-do attitude.
Job responsibilities/ obligations of a Potato Grading Worker/ Backpacker:
- Manually cultivating and pruning potato plants.
- Taking care of farms like regularly performing weeding, rock picking, hoeing weeds, and racking old leaves, loosening the soil around the plants, leveling the earth, etc.
- Manually/ By hand thinning apples from the trees.
- Keeping a record of packing bags stock with respect to the expected level of the total produce. Getting bags ready before harvest.
- Cleaning farm.
- Candidate must be able to stay back at short notice.
- Disposing of overripe or rotten potatoes or defective bags.
- Final grading and inspection of potatoes.
- Handling bags between 2 to 20 kgs.
- Load graded potatoes into packaging bags while taking care of/ avoiding any possible damage.
- Some graders/packers are also required to drive tractors or other vehicles to deliver fruit and vegetables to the packing shed.
- Packing and stacking of packaged potatoes without damage.
Benefits of Potatoe Picker/ Grader Jobs:
- The base hourly rate for Level 1 is € 22.03 with 15% loading for PM shifts.
- All Leave Entitlements.
- Kilmore Potatoes Ltd has many farms and subsidiaries throughout Ireland. Moreover, the weather and land condition of the whole of Ireland is super favorable for potato harvesting. So, potato pickers/ backpackers can never be short of jobs.
- Shifts on a 3-week rotating roster: AM shifts Monday to Saturday from 5 am and PM shifts Monday to Friday from 2 pm.
- Wexford County also has many other potato farms due to having favorable conditions for growing potatoes.
Wexford is famous for producing a variety of best potatoes like British Queen, and Kerrs Pink. British Queen has a wonderfully distinct flavor with and yellow and white skin and clear white flesh. This extremely versatile is ideal for roasting, frying, baking, and mashing. The Kerrs Pink variety is what is commonly known as the ‘Irish Potato’ and is Ireland’s second largest potato variety. They are quite starchy with beautiful and prominent pink skin and white floury flesh. They are great in test and are best used for steaming, boiling, and baking.
Potato Harvesting/ Farming Season in Wexford County, Southern Ireland:
British Queen has their peak availability in July through August. Kerrs Pink have its peak availability from September to mid June, so this is the most commonly available potato variety in Ireland throughout the year.
How to apply?
- By clicking on the link below, you will be routed to the official job search portal, use the application button given below the job description.
- You can also use/ search yourself for the job by using the search box and the location box, to narrow down your job search results. Type your job title, e.g., “ Farm Jobs in Ireland for foreigners/ with visa sponsorship”, “Farm Jobs in Ireland for Working Holiday Workers”, “Vegetable Picking / Grading Jobs in Ireland for foreigners/ with visa sponsorship”, “Potato Picking or Grading Jobs in Ireland for foreigners”, “Agriculture Jobs for Working Holiday Visa”, “Agriculture Jobs in Ireland with visa sponsorship.”
- Select Wexford, Ireland in the location bar right beneath the search bar.
- It’s better to update your CV or Resume and Cover letter according to the latest market trends as there is a high chance that your employer might notice the layout/ presentation.
- Examine the job posting details like job description, job requirements, job responsibilities, etc.
- Ensure you meet all requirements before you apply. Examine the job role and its requirements carefully.
- Click the “Online Application” button given below.
- Fill out the necessary details being asked and submit the application.
- Verify the reception of a confirmation email for your sent job application.